[Syrphidae] Re: Xanthandrus comtus

Francis Gilbert Francis.Gilbert at nottingham.ac.uk
Sat Aug 23 15:24:59 BST 2014

Marvellous photo! and very interesting indeed!

According to the pre-2005 literature that I have found, syrphids have been recorded feeding on a number of things other than from flowers or honeydew: water (Speight 2000), sweat (Bänziger 1996), and from stems and leaves (Katsura K 1996 [Interesting behaviour of Leucozona lucorum]. Hana Abu 2: 12). The last is probably the closest to your observation - Katsura described and photographed Leucozona lucorum feeding from the stems and undersides of leaves of Lugularia fischeri.

Best wishes

Francis

Dr Francis Gilbert
Professor of Ecology, School of Biology
University Park, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
Tel: +44 (0) 115 951 3215