[Syrphidae] Re: The 8th International Symposium on Syrphidae 2015 - announcement

roger.morris at dsl.pipex.com roger.morris at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Sep 24 21:08:03 BST 2013

Dear Ximo

I think the real crunch is whether the meeting is arranged as a collecting trip or whether it is a
3-day symposium with an excursion. If it is a collecting trip then maybe it should be a longer trip
for those who want such things, but, if the main focus is the symposium then surely that should take
priority and should aim to fit with the academic year.

For me, the first two weeks of July will be out completely. My preference would be for late July or
August as any earlier gets in the way of key fieldwork.

At the end of the day you will not please everybody and therefore you must make a decision and run
with what fits the profile you seek. You will not get a unanimous vote either way. Early June will
knock out many academics and possibly people like me who will head for under-recorded areas of the
UK. Go later and you won't satisfy the needs of those who wish to collect.

My big concern is that the original model that Ulrich so excellently set was a symposium. It is
this, I would argue, that has helped so much in galvanising the work of various teams, and so it
seems to me that the priority should be the engagement that stimulates new research collaborations.
Field trips have been a later addition, but seem now to be the tail wagging the dog.

Regards

Roger