[Syrphidae] Re: What is this??

Kumar Ghorpade rhinobaccha at yahoo.co.in
Sun Jul 7 18:27:16 BST 2013

Francis :  Chris is spot  on.  But I recognize it as Dolichomerus chrysopyga Wiedemann, 1819.  This is treated by   Chris as a subgenus of Phytomia  which may be true ?  Lombok would be a new distribution record for this species known from Burma , Malaya, Laos and Java.  Probably NE. India  also?  We in India have D. crassa (Fabricius, 1787) which is a widespread black species with red hind femora.
Chris:  Yes, I would love all your reprints from 1985 onwards please,  if possible. Old ‘fashion’ is my preference.  Fashion comes and goes, don’t give it a damn.
Malcolm:  Java is the type-locality for this species.  Do you have more syrphids from the Orient ?
 All:  In future all images MUST have locality specified for ID.  This poor syrphid seems dead and ‘staged.’    But it is beautiful.

Dr Kumar Ghorpade, Post-Graduate Teacher & Research Associate, Department of Agricultural Entomology, University of Agricultural Sciences, Krishi Nagar, Dharwar 580 005, Karnataka, INDIA.
Postal Mailbox:  P.O. Box 221, K.C. Park Post Office, Dharwar 580 008, INDIA.