[Syrphidae] Re: Syritta help!

Santos Rojo santos.rojo at ua.es
Mon Jun 4 12:43:25 BST 2012

Hi

Well could be Syritta..., but photo are terrible
for ID... if yes, then most sure will be S.
pipiens because eusynanthropic habits, relation
with human faeces etc.
Unfortunately not forensic precise tools as
accumulated degree-days/hours or
isomorphen-diagram  are available for this
species because probably this will be first case
report with presence of this genus at least in
Europe ... anybody has more info? until now
mainly Eristalis tenax and other eristalines have
appear related with human bodies...

"Firdaus Mohd Salleh et al., (2007). Review of
forensic Entomology cases from Kuala Lumpur
Hospital and Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan
Malasyia, 2002.  J. Trop. Med. Parasitol. 30:
51-54 "

"Martins et al., (2010). Breeding of Ornidia
obesa (Diptera: Syrphidae: Eristalinae) on Pig
Carcasses in Brazil. J. Med. Entomol. 47(4):
690-694 "

A single case was published involving Episyrphus
balteatus adults in a forensic? case report ...
but finally "marmalade fly" was not related with
the body... (note that photos of copses appear in
the next link)

http://library-resources.cqu.edu.au/JFS/PDF/vol_43/iss_4/JFSCH12797X.pdf

However in Perez-Bañón & Marcos-García (2000) a
complete larval description of pupae from both
pipiens and flaviventris species is included.
This could help Paola to identify herself
specimens (of course if adult emerge will be
probably more easy...). Pupal period (after
larval development in decaying cacti) was 8-11
days (climatic chamber 16-22 ºC, 15:9
photoperiod). Larvae were sampled in
Mediterranean "winter" that means a minimum of
11-12 degrees in January in of the study sites...
;-)

http://www.eje.cz/pdfarticles/279/eje_097_1_131_Perez.pdf

Cheers

Santos

Instituto Universitario CIBIO - Centro Iberoamericano de la Biodiversidad
Dpto de Ciencias Ambientales y Recursos Naturales
Universidad de Alicante. Apdo. 99
E-03080 Alicante, Spain
Phone.: (int + 34) 965 90 34 00 ext. 3281
FAX: (int + 34) 965 90 38 15
e-mail: santos.rojo at ua.es
=====