[Syrphidae] Re: FW: Re: timing of the next Symposium

Bergh, Chris cbergh at vt.edu
Thu Dec 6 14:59:10 GMT 2012

Hello all,

I have an MS student who is finishing up his thesis on aspects of the intraguild interactions between the Pipizine, Heringia calcarata, and the parasitoid of its woolly apple aphid host, A. mali. As part of his studies, he used choice and no-choice feeding experiments comparing the number of aphids consumed in relation to their stage of parasitization (non-parasitized, early stage of parasitization, and mummified aphids), and found significant effects. I am aware of syrphid studies looking at oviposition discrimination by female flies according to parasitism, but am wondering whether any of you know of other studies on larval discrimination?

Thanks!

Chris Bergh
Professor of Entomology
540-869-2560 ext.32