[Syrphidae] Generic Identification Help Needed

Santos Rojo santos.rojo at ua.es
Mon May 25 13:55:37 BST 2009

Dear John

The larvae covered with white filaments of waxy material it is a
ladybird beetle probably Scymnus genus or close. Here you can see a
photo. Larvae and adults are predators of aphid colonies.

http://www.myrmecos.net/insects/LarvalPred1.html

Best regards

Santos Rojo

===

>In the USA did encounter an aphid predator that I believe was a
>syrphid.  The I failed to collect the animal, or even examine it, I
>did take a photo of it, on a Hairy Cat's-Ear (Hypochaeris radicata)
>plant supporting a population of Uroleucon (Dactynotus) aphids.
>

>The predator in question showed a tessellated pattern of distinct
>and prominent wax tufts.
>

>The only other non-coleopterous insect predator of which I am
>familiar is the lepidopterous Feniseca tarquinius larva, but I
>believe it preys on woolly aphids such as the Prociphilus
>tessellatus.  In that predation mode, it can get somewhat randomly
>and loosely covered with wax filaments producted by the aphids.  The
>predator in question, however, is not covered this way--and
>furthermore, the Uroleucon in question does not produced was
>filaments.
>

>I have included a photo of the insect.  Would appreciate commentary
>by anyone familiar with it.
>

>Sincerely,
>
>John Graham, Ph.D., entomology
>
><mailto:jopagr at comcast.net\>jopagr at comcast.net\

Instituto Universitario CIBIO - Centro Iberoamericano de la Biodiversidad
Dpto de Ciencias Ambientales y Recursos Naturales
Universidad de Alicante. Apdo. 99
E-03080 Alicante, Spain
Tlf.: (int + 34) 965 90 34 00 ext. 3281
FAX: (int + 34) 965 90 38 15