[Syrphidae] Mating syrphids

William Chaney wechaney at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jun 18 07:26:27 BST 2009

Hi Chris,

Yes we did placed virgin reared females in the cages and successfully
mated them with both reared males and field collected males.  Mating
occurred in most species shortly after eclosion, and was followed by
a pre-oviposition period of several days.  This system did not work
for all of the species we tried, Syrphus opinator was not successful
with repeated attempts, and a few other, but these were single attempts.

You might also wish to contact Mario Ambrsinio
(ambrosim at science.oregonstate.edu), I don't know if he is on this
list, but did some syrphid mating work at Oregon State and published
a couple syrphid papers in the last 2 or 3 years.

Good luck,
Bill