[Syrphidae] Mating syrphids

William Chaney wechaney at ucdavis.edu
Mon Jun 15 20:03:26 BST 2009

Chris,

I had success mating and rearing a few of the important aphid feeding
species in Salinas a few years ago.  Sphaerophoria spp. and Toxomerus
spp.were easy.  I used 5 gallon plastic buckets with ventilation in
the sides as well as a sleeve opening and a clear plastic top. I used
flowering alyssum plants for pollen and streaked honey on the sides.
I then placed aphid infested lettuce plants into the cage and the
females would readily oviposit on them.  I changed them daily and
hatched the eggs in a growth chamber.

I can provide more details if you would like.

Bill Chaney
Entomology Farm Advisor, retired
University of California