[Syrphidae] Brian Stuckenberg = end of an era

Chris Thompson xelaalex at cox.net
Mon Feb 9 21:59:52 GMT 2009

Mike:

An era has passed. Words can not express the loss to all of us especially those of us who work on flower flies.

Brian began with flower flies, his thesis was on the genus Paragus. He was first to show the importance of the male genitalia for species taxonomy.

I do not know that our count is right but we have him as the author of some 150 species and 60 papers, all exceptional, precise taxonomic revisions.

But more important than his own work is what he did as a collector and builder of collections. From nothing Natal grew to become the greatest collection of Afrotropical Diptera. This is clearly documented by the 6 genera and 120 species that have so far been named after Brian.

And he was a friend to all who met him. We will miss him. Give our regards and regrets to Pamela.

Sincerely,

Chris Thompson

Syrphid workers: Brian Stuckenberg passed on Sunday, 8 February 2009