[Syrphidae] frost tolerance pupae Cheilosia Syrphidae

Frank Dziock frank.dziock at tu-berlin.de
Tue Nov 20 17:04:00 GMT 2007

Sorry to have been so imprecise:

We took species lists for 38 European regions and looked for large-scale
correlations with environmental variables (a "macroecological"
approach). In a multiple regression analysis of the area-corrected no.
of species (corrected, because larger areas have more species) of the
phytophagous species group we saw a negative correlation of species
number in that group with AET (mean annual actual evapotranspiration)
and mean annual temperature.

So I thought, that "One explanation could be that
> Cheilosia overwinters as a pupa which might be potentially more
> sensitive to freezing in Winter than species overwintering as a larva.

I would be very glad if anybody could help with references concerning
winter/frost hardiness of Syrphid species overwintering as a pupa?

Best wishes from Berlin,

Frank

André van Eck schrieb:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Only negatively influenced?
> Do you have any more specific information?
>
> Fr. greetings,
> André van Eck

- --

Prof. Dr. Frank Dziock
Animal Ecologist and Head of Department (Juniorprofessor)

Department of Biodiversity Dynamics
Technische Universitaet Berlin
Sekr. AB 1
Rothenburgstr. 12
D - 12165 Berlin
Germany

Tel: 030 – 314 71368

Secretary Gisela Falk
gisela.falk at tu-berlin.de
Tel: 030 - 314 71350
Fax: 030 – 314 71355

http://www.tu-berlin.de/fb7/ioeb/biodiversitaet/

Diese email ist mit einer digitalen Signatur versehen.
This email has a digital signature.

Bitte benutzen Sie verschluesselte und signierte emails, wie vom
Bundesamt fuer Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik empfohlen.
http://www.bsi.de/gshb/deutsch/m/m05108.htm

PLEASE USE ENCRYPTED EMAILS FOR COMMUNICATION!

To send encrypted emails, you need a free plug-in (GnuPG) for your email
client and my public key.

Link to GnuPG information and download sites:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Privacy_Guard

My public key is available here:
http://www.tu-berlin.de/fb7/ioeb/biodiversitaet/frank_dziock.htm

Fingerprint:
A2AB D95B C597 F437 FBBF 6152 80A1 6FF8 7863 7302