[Syrphidae] syrphidae and tree resin

Francis Gilbert Francis.Gilbert at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Dec 7 07:43:02 GMT 2005

hi

Yes, this is known. There is a very nice paper by Burke on it (attached)

Francis

**********************************
Dear knowledeable folks,

I am intersted in studies and information pertaining to the relationship
between hoverflies (Syrphidae) and tree resin.

In particular, does any species of hoverfly spend it larval stage in tree
resin (resinous gobs on outside of tree)?  Have any of these species been
found doing this in North America?

I have only found one brief mention of this activity.  I am interested
because I research tree genetic engineering and am concerned about forest
ecology.

Thank you for wiritng me at pseudotsuga at riseup.net

Brian

Dr Francis Gilbert
(on sabbatical in Egypt from 25th Feb 2005)

Info: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/biology/gilbert
Website http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~plzfg
Egyptian-British Biological Society http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~plzfg/EBBSoc/ebbsoc.html