[Syrphidae] Breeding syrphids

Gordon Ramel gordon9@otenet.gr
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:48:12 +0300

Hi everyone,
                       I would like to recommend to teachers that hoverflies
should be included in their curriculum and that they can breed them in the
classroom.  Francis gilbert has already suggested, probably wisely that
getting adults to amte in a cage may be tricky.

Has anyone bred through Episyrphus balteatus which I expect can be raised in
captivity on a diet of
aphids as larvae, and honey solution and pollen for the adults.

Or any other suggestions, I am partially ears.  Well eyes anyway.

                                 Yours in Friendship
                                      May Peace and Love Be With You Always
                                         Gordon Ramel
         The Earthlife Web   http://www.earthlife.net

Bringing Insects to the World http://www.earthlife.net/insects/
Bringing Birds to the World http://www.earthlife.net/birds/
Bringing Mammals to the World http://www.earthlife.net/mammals/
Bringing Lichens to the World http://www.earthlife.net/lichens/
Bringing Bacteria to the World http://www.earthlife.net/prokaryotess/

Post  = Mr G. Ramel, Kerkini,  Serron, 62055,  Greece.
E-Mail = gordon@earthlife.net