[Public-engagement] University of Nottingham Institute for Policy and Engagement: Interim Director's quarterly update Q1 2018

Alex Miles Alex.Miles at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri May 18 18:28:18 BST 2018

Dear all,

Following a number of requests for information about the work taking place to shape the University of Nottingham Institute for Policy and Engagement, I thought the easiest thing to do would be to send this update to both the Policy Impact and Public Engagement lists.

Please accept my apologies for cross-posting, inbox clogging and excessive email length find below the first of a series of quarterly updates to interested (or indeed the occasional uninterested) colleagues about development of the University of Nottingham Institute. This is intended for an internal audience only, so please only forward to colleagues ...

I've broken up this update into the four strands of work I have in my remit as Interim Director, working 0.5FTE on this from Feb until August. To avoid making you scroll through the whole thing long email, I've put links to each story at the top here (which may not work on phones - in which case, apols):

  1.  Implementation and set-up

     *   INTERNAL: Finances and workplan update - changes
     *   INTERNAL: Recruitment update
     *   INTERNAL: Working with the University of Nottingham Impact Accelerator
     *   INTERNAL: A home for the Institute
     *   INTERNAL: Branding, naming, logo and website
     *   EVENT: UNMC workshops 02 and 03 May 2018
     *   EVENT: University of Nottingham: Engaged (The Annual Institute Policy and Public Engagement Conference) 17 September
     *   INTERNAL: Mapping policy impact and public engagement resources across the University
     *   INTERNAL: Institute Operational Executive established

  1.  Pillar One: global policy engagement and impact

     *   INITIATIVE: Beacon Policy Challenge Enquiries
     *   FUNDING: Policy Impact Train Fare Fund
     *   EVENT: Policy Masterclass Series: Stian Westlake Lecture... 18th June
     *   EVENT: University of Nottingham Global Dialogues Hong Kong and Thailand 2018
     *   EVENT: Nick Bloom + Bank of England event and dinner at Asia House, May 2018
     *   EVENT: Launch of the University of Nottingham Asia Research Institute 12th June, with Carrie Gracie
     *   INITIATIVE: Development of Asia Expertise directory - online and print
     *   TRAINING: Policy Impact as a Campaign: university-wide training programme being developed with On ThinkTanks - global network of policy institutes
     *   EVENT: Civic University Commission evidence session in Nottingham, 22nd June 2018, with Lord Bob Kerslake
     *   TRAINING: Nottingham Women Expert Network: Sharing your expertise in Parliament - 11th May 2018 - joint initiative with NTU

  1.  Pillar Two: public engagement

     *   INTERNAL: Public Engagement Webpages created
     *   FUNDING: Public Engagement Funding for 17-18 initiatives
     *   EVENT: Festival of Science Curiosity 2018... report
     *   EVENT: Reimagining the University of Nottingham's approach to public engagement workshop
     *   EVENT: University of Nottingham Malaysia Public Engagement and Science Communication lunch in Petronas Towers, with Sir Martyn Poliakoff and FameLab
     *   INITIATIVE: University of Nottingham Research Superheroes - Spiderwoman comes to the rescue of Midlands Innovation!

  1.  And finally...

     *   The best three blogs I've read this month...
     *   Quick reflections on the first couple of months...

Update on activity Feb - April 2018

1.0     Implementation
a)         INTERNAL: Finances and workplan update - changes
Following a review of the Research Strategy finances, the budget and implementation programme for the Institute was reconfigured, with the Interim workplan then signed off late last month with changes to 18-19 FY expenditure, by the PVC RKE, the University's Chief Marketing and Comms Officer and the Director of Research and Innovation. However, with the support of Research and Innovation, whilst there will be a significant drop in non-pay funds for next year, all posts (5x FTE) in the Institute will be supported. I will be working with colleagues across the Institution to try and replace these funds from other internal and external sources.

b)         INTERNAL: Recruitment update
Recruitment of the permanent Director has been completed and an announcement is expected soon, with myself and other panel members extremely pleased by the calibre of the field. The recruitment of the Head of Global Policy Impact post (APM5 - JD attached) has been successfully recruited to, subject to final checks. We expect the role-holder to start in June - and are very pleased with the appointee. I have been working with RCUK and NCCPE to shape the Head of Public Engagement post, which is now going through HR ahead of recruitment. The Institute Coordinator and Administrator posts will be recruited to later this spring, with a view to having the team together ready for the next academic year.

Finally, Madalina Stalniceanu in the Public and Political Affairs Unit has been providing vital project and administrative support to the development of the Institute and will now do so in a more formal capacity over the coming months working as 0.5FTE APM3.

c)         INTERNAL: Working with the University of Nottingham Impact Accelerator
I have been working with Susan Huxtable and her team, who have been hugely supportive of the Institute. In particular, we have agreed to align a proportion of the impact funding that will be secured and then allocated internally from the research councils, to policy impact and public engagement. Following the budget reconfiguration, this will provide the Institute with some non-pay funds to support policy impact and public engagement activity across the Faculties. It will also allow the Institute to find efficiencies between different pots of funding and target support more strategically and ambitiously across the whole institution.

Following its launch in late March, for this FY year, the NIA has asked the Institute to develop a £3k for policy impact travel support and allocate £22k via the Public Engagement Network for public engagement with research funding. This was announced at the launch event by Sir John Peace last month - and I was able to speak to colleagues at this event about the fund. It has subsequently been published to all REF Impact leads in Faculty and Schools.

d)         INTERNAL: A home for the Institute...
The Institute will be moving in alongside the Rights Lab, CAS and the Graduate School into Highfield House. The office for the Institute will initially be B13, which will (just about) hold three people. We will be working with Estates and other colleagues to develop a solution for the next Academic Year. More widely, we will be working alongside the Rights Lab and External Relations to ensure that branding and signage for the space clearly signals Highfield House as the home of the Institute and the activity it represents. The Institute's events will take place all over campus, but there will be a focus on developing a high-profile series of activity for internal and external audiences from out of Highfield that will begin this year.

e)         INTERNAL: Branding, naming, logo and website
A new name for the Institute (it was decided to change the World Institute concept) was selected and a composite logo development. Please try, where possible, to not acronymise the Institute as it undermines people knowing what it does, or that it's associated with the University. Once I've used the full name, in short-hand I am just calling it the University of Nottingham Institute or just The Institute. Clearly, as is so often the case in Universities, choosing the name has been a challenging process - and a compromise has had to be reached. However, I am confident that the activity of the Institute will start to speak for itself - but this start-up phase is always tricky... so anything you can do to help us here is much appreciated. Work on the Institute's look and feel, web-presence and digital presence will begin in May.

f)          EVENT: University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus Workshops - 02 and 03 May
I will be out in Malaysia delivering the launch of the University's Reputation Campaign in KL during Going Global. Together with PVC RKE Dame Jessica Corner and UNMC's new VP RKE, Prof Deb Hall, I will be delivering a series of workshops to introduce UNMC researchers to the Institute, what it can do for them and find out more about what public engagement and policy impact is taking place out of UNMC. Contact Anita.Pathma at nottingham.edu.my<mailto:Anita.Pathma at nottingham.edu.my> if you are interested in attending. Timings likely to be 2pm - 4pm on Weds and more slots on Thursday at UNMC.

g)         EVENT: University of Nottingham: Engaged (The Annual Institute Policy and Public Engagement Conference) 17 September 2018
Following on from two years of sold-out internal conferences focusing on both policy impact and public engagement, the Institute's Annual Internal Conference is being developed by a project group of 10 volunteers from across the University for 17th September. The conference is being co-curated with the National Coordinating Centre for Public Engagement, the Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology, the Institute for Government, the Parliamentary Information and Outreach Service and On Thinktanks. We expect an audience of between 100-150 academics. Rachel Wolf, former Senior Policy Adviser for Education to the Prime Minister and Founding CEO of political consultancy Public First is confirmed as our keynote.

h)         INTERNAL: Mapping policy impact and public engagement resources across the University
One of the trickiest things to find out when building the business case for the Institute was where resource and remit to support policy impact and public engagement exists across the Institution. In many cases it's part of someone's role - and therefore not necessarily an area of a dedicated expertise. Part of the purpose of the Institute was to help these individuals (and researchers) more easily find each other, to link them into a network of best practice and provide them with support and training with which they can then pass on at the local level. As such, we have begun to re-map colleagues across the Institution who have part of their role focus on policy impact (currently 49 that we know of) or public engagement (currently 73) support.

We will be contacting these individuals over the coming months to ask them to set out what they can do, and who they can do it for. We will then keep this information on a Editable Prezi visualisation, which colleagues and Institute can edit and keep up to-date as a live document.

i)          INTERNAL: Institute Operational Executive established
The Institute's business model is predicated on aligning its activity with the priorities of Faculties, APM Depts and to support delivery of the Research Strategy more effectively through mutual activity. As such, a small 'operational executive' drawn from Faculty impact and research strategy managers + other colleagues from across the Uni, has been formed to support the development of practical remit of the Institute. The group will meet once every two months and its first meeting will look at how the Institute will support the development REF Impact case-studies focused on policy and public engagement.

----------
2.0     Global policy engagement and impact
a)         INITIATIVE: Beacon Challenge Policy Enquiries
The Institute will be seeking to work with the Beacons to develop and run a series of short Beacon Challenge Policy Enquiries. The format and focus of these Enquiries is being mulled over at the moment - but as a minimum, they would be co-curated with a policy partner and act as a short campaign, aiming to produce a number of impact and engagement outputs, as well as help frame some of the big picture challenges that the Beacons are set up to provide Nottingham solutions to. I will be looking to work with a couple of Beacons in the first instance to shape this pilot.

b)         FUNDING: Policy Impact Train Fare Fund
Using a small pot of available funding via HEIF from the Nottingham Impact Accelerator for this FY, we have decided to create a small fund just £3k to run up to the 31st July 2018 that we hope will address one of the more intransigent barriers to UoN academics engaging with policymakers to support the wider impact of their research: specifically, the expense of getting peak time trains to-and-from Nottingham to both London and Swindon. Some researchers can find pots of money in their research grants to fund travel... but this isn't true for everyone - and it has been raised frequently by researchers at Nottingham and other universities in the North/ Midlands

We will try and target this fund at those working on policy-facing REF Impact Case Studies and those working with R&I on Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund Wave 3 themed activity. We will then open it up to the 700 members of the Nottingham Policy Impact and Research Network.

More info about the PITFF is attached - and the application form is at: http://workspace.nottingham.ac.uk/display/CandM/Policy+Impact+Train+Fare+Fund+2017-2018

c)         EVENT: University of Institute Policy Masterclass Lecture Series - first event 18 June, Stian Westlake, Senior Policy Adviser to Minister for Universities and Science
Stian Westlake is the Universities and Science Minister's Sam Gyimah MP's Director of Policy - but also a NESTA fellow. He is the co-author of a book with Professor Jonathan Haskell<https://www.imperial.ac.uk/people/j.haskel> of Imperial of Capitalism Without Capital: The Rise of the Intangible Economy, which has been extremely well reviewed.  The Vice-Chancellor has very kindly agreed to introduce this lecture, which will be held at 6pm on Monday 18th June at the new home of the Institute, Highfields House. Sign up here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/policy-masterclass-lecture-by-stian-westlake-tickets-45969479952

The event will be delivered by Lakeside Arts, as the first of a series of joint initiatives between them and the Institute that combines their event delivery expertise and reach into the local community with the Institute's strategic focus.

d)           EVENTS: University of Nottingham Global Dialogues Hong Kong and Thailand 2018
The Political and Public Affairs Unit launched the 'University of Nottingham Global Dialogues' event series in at Nottingham in Parliament Day and the British Consulate in Hong Kong in October 2016. Since then, there have been numerous events, developed with academic colleagues and APM departments across the University, but united by their focus on bringing University of Nottingham researchers together with policymaker and industry to discuss topics of global significance. The audiences are similarly diverse, with alumni, students, our local community, academia, policy and industry all coming together to attend; reinforcing the University's reputation as a global convenor of ideas and people.

This May, the first formally-run Institute run Global Dialogues event took place in Bangkok, Thailand at the Residence of the British Ambassador in partnership with both the FCO and British Council. The speaker line up, including VC Professor Shearer West, is stellar and the topic is Ideas vs borders: can universities continue to be global in the new geopolitical era?

Last week, CARO ran the second Hong Kong Global Dialogues, with the VC and Prof Michele Clarke convening an expert panel of Hong Kong-based  practitioners and research to discuss Sustainability and Smart Cities with a sell-out audience of alumni.

[cid:image004.jpg at 01D3EED4.1E10C7D0]

e)         TBC EVENT: Nick Bloom + Bank of England event and dinner at Asia House, June/ July 2018
Working with Professor Paul Bloom and the School of Economics to leverage a visit from his Stanford collaborator on a major ESRC and ONS project to model the macroeconomic uncertainty effect of Brexit on businesses with the Bank of England. Plan is to hold an event followed by a high-level policy-maker dinner using the University's flagship partnership with Asia House (jointly supported by External Relations and the Office for Global Engagement) and their exceptional corporate networks.

f)          EVENT: Launch of the University of Nottingham Asia Research Institute 12 June 2018
Again using the University's Asia House Partnership, the Institute is supporting the rebrand and relaunch of IAPS as the University of Nottingham Asia Research Institute, led by Professor Katharine Adeney in the UK. Both Institutes will join forces to deliver a series of policymaker afternoon roundtables at Asia House focusing on topics like Belt and Road. This will be followed by an evening launch reception and debate, with Professor Adeney Chairing a panel that includes BBC China Editor Carrie Gracie, Lord Desai and Shadow Secretary of State for International Trade, Barry Gardiner MP. The Political and Public Affairs Unit are supporting the development of the event. The evening will also mark the launch of...

g)         INITIATIVE: Development of Asia Expertise directory - online and print
Working with ABC, the Universities Media team and the Political and Public Affairs Unit, the Institute is looking to build on the success of the recent Women's Expertise Guide by creating an online and hard-copy resource of the University research and impact expertise on Asia. This will, for the first time, bring together and effectively present the University's expertise in this space in a manner accessible by policymakers, industry partners and the media. The brochure and website will also improve the articulation of how these external audience can work with the University - and there will be a wide-ranging communications and dissemination strategy for the document and website.

h)         TRAINING: Policy Impact as a Campaign: university-wide training programme being developed with On ThinkTanks - global network of policy institutes
Launching in September, we will working with On ThinkTanks<https://onthinktanks.org/> a global network of policy institute professionals, External Relations and R&I to develop a bespoke series of in-person and online training courses for University of Nottingham staff. One of these will be aimed at the over 100 members of staff who have some proportion of their remit devoted to supporting researchers with policy impact and public engagement. The other will be aimed at Beacon Directors and other senior academic staff, including Impact Leads and Centre Directors. Both courses will be centred around thinking as Policy Impact as a Campaign... much like professional think-tanks across the world do, and will provide all participants with the tools and understanding to know what excellent looks like in this space.

i)          EVENT: Civic University Commission evidence session in Nottingham, 22nd June 2018, with Lord Bob Kerslake
Following Nottingham in Parliament Day in 2016, the University of Nottingham has been working with other universities, UUK and the UPP Foundation to create the Civic University Commission<http://upp-foundation.org/civic-university-commission/>, a national policy exercise that will examine the what the future of 'the civic university' looks like in the UK and beyond. Essentially, if you were creating a new civic university today, what would it do in order to make it civic? On 22nd June, the Commission will visit Nottingham to engage with external stakeholders, university staff and partners from both the University and NTU. The themes of the visit will be 'the civic value of being globally connected' and 'the future civic role of university education'. More information is attached.

h)         TRAINING: Nottingham Women Expert Network: Sharing your expertise in Parliament - 11th May 2018

Supported by the Institute, but led by External Relations, this was a free event aimed primarily at female members of staff (though open to all colleagues) of the University of Nottingham and Nottingham Trent University as part of the Nottingham Women Expert Network. The event focused on giving evidence in formal settings, such as Select Committees, with the aim of helping female academics become more confident at sharing their expertise in policy environments. Our guest speakers were Lilian Greenwood, Labour MP for Nottingham South, and Professor Sarah Sharples, Associate Faculty Pro-Vice Chancellor for Research & Knowledge Exchange and Professor of Human Factors in the Faculty of Engineering.
----------

3.0     Public Engagement

a)         INTERNAL: Public Engagement webpages created
One of the major issues raised by external funders and internal colleagues alike was the lack of a single set of University hub-pages for Public Engagement. These need to, at a minimum, set-out how we've spent funding and delivered on priorities, sign-post external and internal colleagues to resources and information and promote relevant opportunities and initiatives. Madalina Stalniceanu has worked with the Nottingham Public Engagement Network Executive to create these pages - which are currently based on the Government Relations webpages, but will move to the Research Pages when they are revamped later this year. The link is: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/about/government-relations/public-engagement/public-engagement.aspx

b)         FUNDING: Public engagement funding 17-18...
Using the aforementioned NIA funding for this year, the University's Public Engagement Network Executive has chosen 4 projects of strategic importance that can quickly spend this funding before 31st July. In our decision-making we were conscious that Wonder is not taking place this year, and so we have tried to choose initiatives for funding that deliver some of the benefits of that. The projects are supporting a "University of Nottingham Wonder at Riverside Festival", a research showcase at Lakeside Wheee! Festival, and funding for a Widening Participation Family Discovery Day on Campus on 16th June. Sam Tang and Clare Anderton are convening a project group.

c)         EVENT: Festival of Science and Curiosity 2018... report
With the support of Faculty Pro-Vice Chancellor for Science, Professor Kevin Shakesheff, the Institute provided a small amount of direct funding and in-kind support via External Relations to deliver a step-change in the Festival of Science and Curiosity delivered with Ignite Futures, Nottingham City Council and Nottingham Trent University. The Festival took place across Nottingham City Centre, but also in libraries and communities across some of Nottingham's most socially-deprived areas such as Attercliffe, Bilborough and Clifton. The funding helped develop a clear brand for the Festival, promote it via buses across the city, support events taking place out of the city centre and help fund the post-event impact analysis - which will form the basis of any future application for support. 40 University of Nottingham researchers took part in the Festival, with 3000 separate engagements taking place - roughly double last year. A summary report is attached. Prof Susan Anderson and Kevin will be putting together a new proposal to support the Festival moving forward.

d)         EVENT: Reimagining the University of Nottingham's approach to public engagement - workshop
Last December, the Institute held a workshop for 70 of the University's public engagement practitioners and external partners to try and understand more about what we already did across the University, what we didn't do, what the barriers and opportunities were - and then to turn all of this into a preliminary University of Nottingham Public Engagement Strategic Approach. We worked with Steve Cross, former Director of Public Engagement at UCL and founder of Bright Club and Science Showoff science stand-ups - as well as some local illustrators to run the workshop. With over 1000 post-it notes plastered onto the walls of the Winter Gardens - the attached report and illustration demonstrates the huge breadth of public engagement activity currently taking place at Nottingham...
[cid:image005.jpg at 01D3EED4.1E10C7D0]

e)         EVENT: University of Nottingham Malaysia Public Engagement and Science Communication lunch in Petronas Towers, with Sir Martyn Poliakoff and FameLab
As part of the Institute's world-wide remit and focus, this May will see the Institute teaming up with Petrosains, the FCO and the British Council to run an event with External Relations, the Office for Global Engagement and UNMC at the Petronas Towers. Professor Sir Martyn Poliakoff will be talking to about 130 public engagement practitioner and science communicators from across Malaysia and ASEAN, including the winners and finalists of FameLab. Martyn also be supported the University's Reputation Campaign for Malaysia by doing a series of other talks, demos and workshops during this week, which will be attended by literally hundreds of school children, teachers, students and researchers. He also undertook a very special experiment at the top of the Petronas Towers with the British High Commissioner, Her Excellency Vicki Treadell MVO CMG, as his technical assistant. The link to the Institute event is here... https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/global-science-communication-lunch-and-exchange-with-sir-martyn-poliakoff-tickets-45337058362 and the invite is attached. For images of these events, check out the twitter hashtag #UNMworld and #UoNEngaged

f)          INITIATIVE: University of Nottingham Research Superheroes - Spiderwoman comes to the rescue of Midlands Innovation!
A late-night call to the University of Nottingham security team and Dr Sara Goodacre from a fellow Midlands Innovation university (they were too shy to want to be mentioned), prompted the Institute to work with External Relations and the NTU Graphic Design BA Course to create a fun piece of social media content to support the University of Nottingham Spiderlab's crowd-sourcing campaign and to celebrate one of the University of Nottingham's research and public engagement superstars... for the full story, check out https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/currentstudents/documents/uon-spiderwoman-comic1.pdf and if you have any similar stories that we might be able to feature in a marvel-style series, drop me a line. We're hopeful that the cartoon may now prompt a successful bid from the University to the National Geographic public engagement with science fund...

[cid:image006.jpg at 01D3EED4.1E10C7D0]
----------

4.       And finally...

a)         The best three blogs I've read this month..

LSE Impact Blog: Ten top tips for social scientists seeking to influence policy<http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2017/03/15/ten-top-tips-for-social-scientists-seeking-to-influence-policy/>
University of Birmingham Public Engagement Blog: REF 2021 Public Engagement Workshop<https://blog.bham.ac.uk/thinkresearch/2018/02/ref-2021-public-engagement-workshop/>
Stephen Kemp Impact Blog: More 4* REF impact case studies - a library of 4* impact case studies from the last REF<http://www.stephenckemp.co.uk/more-4-star-ref-impact-case-studies/>

b)         Quick reflections on the first couple of months...
The response of colleagues to the creation of the Institute over the first couple of months of taking up the role has been extremely heartening. Without exception, the need for the University to provide this central hub of coordination, expertise and strategic focus has been recognised - and colleagues from all Faculties have already started to think about how the Institute might join forces with activity and initiatives in their areas to deliver things that are greater than the sum of their parts.

As ever, the transaction cost of navigating our internal institutional systems has been high, but there is a sense that by the time the permanent Director is in post, the vast majority of the wiring will have been sorted - with only minor electrical burns received!

The key challenge over the coming months is going to be managing the demand for activity with the recognition that the Institute can't do everything. Whilst it should be pointed out that, resource-wisee, it is significantly smaller in size than similar bodies at almost all of our competitors; our ambitions far exceed theirs - and our business model, predicated on co-curation, sharing resources for shared rewards, amplification of existing activity and a resolute focus on the exceptional; is just plain better.

Similarly, as the Interim Director - it won't be possible to over-commit the Institute in any particular direction, so please do bear in mind that the focus for the run-up to the summer is going to be on making sure the foundations, networks and profile of the Institute are in as good a place as they can be ahead of its formal launch in the Autumn of 2018.

Ta!

Alex Miles
Deputy Director of Communications, Advocacy and Global Affairs
Interim Director, University of Nottingham Institute for Policy and Engagement

Chair, CASE Europe Annual Conference 2018-19<http://www.case.org/CEAC18.html>

Submit evidence to the Civic University Commission<http://upp-foundation.org/civic-university-commission/>....

Media Team, Internal Communications and the Political and Public Affairs Unit<http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/communicationsmarketing/teams/public-affairs/index.aspx>
External Relations<http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/communicationsmarketing/index.aspx>, Pope Building