[Maths-Education] PME27

Peter Gates Peter.Gates at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Feb 20 10:39:33 GMT 2024

Thanks to all those who replied – some pointing out I looked in the wrong place for the PME27 proceedings (2003). Lovely to hear from people  I have known since PME10. And to be reminded that I actually had a Discussion Group in PME27 with Steve Lerman, Robyn Jorgensen and Mike Askew. Something about social justice or other.

Sadly all that is in the proceedings is his name…but …..

It was Nainoa Thompson. John Mason remembered after 20 years!! And lots of people came up with proceedings ….

Find him on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nainoa_Thompson

“Charles Nainoa Thompson (born March 11, 1953, in Oahu<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oahu>, Hawaii[1]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nainoa_Thompson#cite_note-howe-1>) is a Native Hawaiian<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Hawaiian> navigator<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navigator> and the president of the Polynesian Voyaging Society<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynesian_Voyaging_Society>. He is best known as the first Hawaiian to practice the ancient Polynesian art of navigation<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynesian_navigation> since the 14th century, having navigated two double-hulled canoes (the Hōkūleʻa<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C5%8Dk%C5%ABle%CA%BBa> and the Hawaiʻiloa<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiiloa>) from Hawaiʻi<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawai%CA%BBi> to other island nations in Polynesia<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynesia> without the aid of western instruments.”

John tells me it was a  “Terrific talk about learning from experience not instruction” so here is something interesting….

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynesian_navigation

Best Wishes, in what is a rather sobering year for people who have been in Maths ed for a long time…

Peter