[Maths-Education] The Passing of Ubi D'Ambrosio

peter.gates3 at btopenworld.com peter.gates3 at btopenworld.com
Tue May 18 13:55:46 BST 2021

Dear colleagues,

No doubt some of you will know already of the recent passing of Ubiratan D’Ambrosio and a message to that effect is below.

In order to avoid large numbers of emails, if any colleague wishes to send a message of condolence or remembrances of Ubi to be circulated please send it to me at   <mailto:peter.gates at nottingham.ac.uk> peter.gates at nottingham.ac.uk  and I will collate our messages and post them to this list as well as send them on to Ubi’s family.

It is with great regret that we announce to all of you the passing of Professor Ubiratan D'Ambrosio, our friend Ubi, on the morning of the 12th of May, 2021. Ubi has suffered serious health problems for some time now, and his health has been declining in recent months. Ubi died in his beloved São Paulo, Brazil.

This is a moment of profound sadness for all of those who knew Ubi as a comrade and from afar in the communities of people from all classes and lifestyles his life and works touched. His legacy will live on, a legacy of championing peace in all its many senses and dimensions: inner peace, peace with our friends and neighbors, peace with nature, and world peace.  That is, he was a champion of peace in all the contexts our lives and values are embedded in naturally.

This was Ubi’s quest.  What he achieved in this quest he owes to a profound capacity for recognizing where the ties that bind us have become knotted, a knowledge of how to untie those knots, and how to reconstruct them in ways that created a new life praxis dedicated to social justice, equity, and affectionateness. Collective reconstruction and the courage to act were his goals as a mathematics educator and pioneer in ethnomathematics. But he made mathematics education a completely human and social endeavor.

In Brazil, Ubi was a great pillar for the constitution of a community of mathematics educators, encouraging and influencing new researchers with his   ideas on transdisciplinarity and transculturalism.

There remains, therefore, the sincere and deep feelings of condolence to all colleagues in this community, in which Ubi held the first opening conference in Nottingham, in 1998, and to family members, especially his beloved wife Maria José and his son Alexandre.

In his greatness and light, Ubi lives on in all of us, empowering our never-ending struggles for justice, equality, and humanity for all peoples, all generations, and the very earth that sustains us.

Nosso abraço fraterno,

Mônica Mesquita, Sal Restivo, and Tania Cabral

Mônica Mesquita
Leading Researcher  |  DCEA
NOVA SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY | FCT NOVA

Universidade NOVA de Lisboa
Campus de Caparica | 2829-516 Caparica | Portugal
Tel: (+351) 21 294 8300  | Ext 10115  | Room 342/460

MARE - Marine and Environmental Sciences Centre

http://www.mare-centre.pt/pt/user/211

OLO - Ocean Literacy Observatory
www.olo.blue <http://www.olo.blue>

EmF - Educação em Fronteiras  - CNPq / Brasil
https://fronteirasurbanas.wixsite.com/emfronteiras

Partibridges Project
ERASMUS +
www.partibridges.eu <http://www.partibridges.eu>