[Maths-Education] Philosophy of Mathematics Education Journal

Peter Gates Peter.Gates at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Oct 21 13:37:17 BST 2016

Philosophy of Mathematics Education Journal

special issue on mathematics education and the environment

special issue editors: Alf Coles, Mark Boylan

(in cooperation with the founding editor Paul Ernest)

Editorial panel:  Yasmine Abtahi, Janet Ainley, Richard Barwell, Annie Savard
We invite submissions of proposals for articles to form a special issue of the 'Philosophy of Mathematics Education Journal' on the theme of ethics, uncertainty and complexity in relation to the link between mathematics education and the global environmental crisis (e.g., climate change, food security, water, future cities, etc.).
As the range and scope of challenges to ecological survival extend, at what point must this impinge on mathematics taught in schools, or the way we prepare mathematics teachers for their roles, or the research done in mathematics education? Given the accountability pressures on school and universities, where are the spaces for considering the ethical implications of the choices we make within mathematics?, the spaces for working with uncertainty? and with complex situations where we cannot predict the results of our actions? Specific questions addressed in the Special Issue might be (but are not limited to):

•      What is the role of mathematics and mathematics education in the global environmental crisis? What role might there be in responding to this crisis?

•      How can inter-disciplinary work promote awareness of the role of mathematics in complex, ethical decision-making?

•      How do global crises challenge our values and ethics as mathematics educators?

•      How can mathematics education address the risk and uncertainty in the current environmental crisis?
Submissions, theoretical or empirical, may address these or related questions concerning mathematics education at any stage, including in formal schooling, higher and further education, informal education, and public understanding and education.

Please direct all correspondence and submissions to Alf Coles (alf.coles at bris.ac.uk<mailto:alf.coles at bris.ac.uk>).

Abstract deadline (500 words): 8th Jan 2017

Full paper deadline: 3rd April 2017

--
University of Bristol
Graduate School of Education