[Maths-Education] Re: Maths on the Buses (York, June 2017, as part of York Festival of Ideas; co-sponsored by York Bus Forum)

John Bibby johnbibbyjohnbibby at gmail.com
Tue May 17 09:13:00 BST 2016

Good idea Charlie. Thanks.

Does anyone have any favourite nonstandard Sudoku like thingies that have
specific mathematical messages?

I actually quite like the square which has numbers on the cell boundaries
derived from the unknown cell entries, and you have to work out the
entries. (What is it called pls?)

I have never followed it up, but there must be some duality relationship
between the two sets.

JOHN

On Thursday, 12 May 2016, Charlie Gilderdale <cfg21 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear John,
>
> Many commuters like doing Sudokus, so how about offering them some
> Mathematical Sudokus?
>
> You can find our NRICH collection at
> http://nrich.maths.org/public/titlesearch.php?search=sudoku
>
> We also have a large collection of NRICH posters that could be displayed
> in the buses: http://nrich.maths.org/posters
>
> Good luck with the proposal and best wishes,
> Charlie
>

> Charlie Gilderdale
> ---------------------------------
> University of Cambridge
> NRICH Mathematics Project
> Centre for Mathematical Sciences
> Wilberforce Road, Cambridge CB3 0WA
> ---------------------------------
> 01223 764246
> http://nrich.maths.org/enriching
>

> > On 11 May 2016, at 15:30, John Bibby <johnbibbyjohnbibby at gmail.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> > Dear All
> >
> > I am putting together proposals for "Maths in the Buses!" in York.   I
> need
> >
> >   - ideas
> >   - people
> >   - money
> >   - buses.
> >
> > I have some of each of the above, but need more!
> >
> > Please send help - and forward this to others who might be interested.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > JOHN BIBBY
> > REPLY goes to sender only
> >

> > This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee
> > and may contain confidential information. If you have received this
> > message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.
> >
> > Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this
> > message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the
> > author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the
> > University of Nottingham.
> >
> > This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an
> > attachment may still contain software viruses which could damage your
> > computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email
> > communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as
> > permitted by UK legislation.

Please note the following events prompted by the 2016 Sykes-Picot centenary
 &  Mark Sykes of Sledmere:

   - *Borders and Beyond in the Middle East since 1914
   <http://www.yorksj.ac.uk/news---events/news---events-home/events/borders-and-beyond-in-the-midd.aspx>
   (*"BABITME", *17-18 June) *: WW1, Yorkshire & other family connections,
   "hidden" histories, implications for today, migration, nationalisms,
   religion, etc.: www.tinyURL.com/BABITME <http://www.tinyurl.com/BABITME>

*Please support York Bus Forum's campaign for NO BUS CUTS !! *