[Maths-Education] Re: Maths on the Buses (York, June 2017, as part of York Festival of Ideas; co-sponsored by York Bus Forum)

David H Kirshner dkirsh at lsu.edu
Thu May 12 17:35:43 BST 2016

John,

I really like Charlie's suggestion of puzzles, but Sudoku puzzles--especially with extra layers--only will reach those who already do Sudoku.

How about trick puzzles that can be worked out on the spot and have some sense of humor or intrigue--I've listed several below.

To encourage conversation, under each can be the advice: Work it Out Together.

David

1.

Which of these triangles has the greater area?

2. If you choose an answer to this question at random, what is the chance you will be correct?
A)     25%
B)     50%
C)     25%

D)     None of the above

3. The Self-describing Sequence

1
11
21
1211
111221
312211

What's the next line?

(This is a tough one: read each line as a description of the preceding one.)

4. Brothers and sisters have I none,
but this man's father is my father's son.

          Who is this man to me?

5.

[cid:image005.png at 01D1AC42.6918D870]

(Bad news, if you're having trouble with this one: It's from a kindergarten entrance exam in Hong Kong)

6. This last one might be considered too off colour or risqué for the bus:

A mother is 21 years older than her son. Six years from now, she will be five times his age. Where's the father?