[Maths-Education] Beatriz Silva D’Ambrosio

Peter Gates Peter.Gates at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Sep 23 10:04:04 BST 2015

Colleagues I pass on a very sad message from the Mathematics Education Faculty at Miami University.

It is with heavy hearts that we announce the sudden passing of Beatriz Silva D’Ambrosio. Bia died suddenly of a brain aneurysm on Monday.  Bia was an inspiration to many mathematics educators and students across the world. Beyond her incredible achievements as a scholar, Bia was remarkable for her humility, kindness, and boundless curiosity as a teacher and learner of mathematics and pedagogy. We have been exceptionally fortunate to have worked with Bia, and to call her our friend.

Her colleagues from the Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Universidade Estadual de Rio Claro, University of Delaware, University of Georgia, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, and Miami University will profoundly miss her.

Bia is survived by her two daughters, Rafaela and Gabriela. She is also survived by her brother Alexandre D’Ambrosio and her parents Ubiratan and Maria José D’Ambrosio.

Dr Peter Gates
Centre for Research in Mathematics Education
School of Education
+44 (0)115 951 4432 | peter.gates at nottingham.ac.uk<mailto:peter.gates at nottingham.ac.uk> | University web Page<http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/Education/People/peter.gates> |  www.petergates.org
School of Education  |  The  University  of Nottingham  |   Jubilee    Campus   | Nottingham NG8 1BB