[Maths-Education] An Invitation from the Editorial Board of Oxford Bibliographies

Peter Gates Peter.Gates at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Feb 20 20:39:25 GMT 2013

Colleagues,

I have been invited to write the maths education section of the "Oxford Bibliographies in Education" . However, the prospect of one person writing a definitive summary of the whole field I feel is a bit overambitious - and would be improved by involving others who had expertise in substantive fields. The editorial board has agreed that the Maths Education entry can be multiple authored. Hence I'll inviting others to come in with me and offer to put together a bibliography for your field. This way I think we can together do something really good. So rather than me send out invites to all my mates, I'm sending this general one first.

Are you interested in contributing an annotated bibliography with a descriptive overview or commentary? If so, which topic or field?

I'm happy to coordinate etc. and put together one or two myself. The fee for the whole thing is $350 or $700 in OUP books. We can see how this goes - by either splitting it equally or donating the fee to a charity. We don't do these things for money do we!

If you are interested, can you let me know, and tell me what topic or area you think you can contribute to. (For example those research interest fields in PME!). If I get a number of offers naturally I'll have to identify people, but I'll do my best to be honourable and fair!

I am told the deadline is "Proposed deadline: May 1, 2013 (flexible)".

The info from Oxford is as follows.....

"Oxford is committed to supporting the research of those working in the field of Education worldwide. To that end, we have developed Oxford Bibliographies in Education which aims to help students and scholars to quickly identify the main pathways of research and to determine the relevance and quality of potential resources. Articles published in Oxford Bibliographies combine the best features of an annotated bibliography with a high-level encyclopedia, all with the online-only capabilities of enhanced cross-referencing, full-text searches and direct links to the sources cited.

All articles will be peer-reviewed and the corpus will grow by at least 50 new articles per year. In addition, each article will be networked and linked to online journals, databases, and other digital resources. You can learn more about the project at http://oxfordbibliographies.com/obo/page/education.

We are inviting the top researchers in the field to contribute and I, along with Editor-in-Chief Luanna Meyer and the editorial board, invite you to author the article "Elementary and Secondary Mathematics Education". If you choose, you may include a second author for the article, provided you are first author.  You will have the option to regularly revise and update the article after publication and are welcome to write additional articles if you so choose. Each article should provide a skeleton for research, with general topic headings first, followed by more thematic headings, each introduced by a commentary paragraph and followed by a select list of annotated citations."

OK? So let me know.

Best Wishes,

Peter

Dr Peter Gates
Centre for Research in Mathematics Education
School of Education
+44 (0)115 951 4432 | peter.gates at nottingham.ac.uk<mailto:peter.gates at nottingham.ac.uk> | University web Page<http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/Education/People/peter.gates> |  www.petergates.org
 School of Education  |  The  University  of Nottingham  |   Jubilee    Campus   | Nottingham NG8 1BB

 [cid:image001.png at 01CE0396.FE620EE0] <http://www.facebook.com/UonEducation>   [cid:image002.png at 01CE0396.FE620EE0] <http://twitter.com/UoNSoE>
 [cid:image005.jpg at 01CC7C48.9E222870] <http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/itunesu>

w: Impact: The Nottingham Campaign<http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/impactcampaign>