[Maths-Education] Attacks on Jo Boaler and mathematics education

Lerman, Stephen lermans at lsbu.ac.uk
Wed Oct 17 13:58:51 BST 2012

Dear colleagues,
You may know that Jo Boaler's work in a Californian school, called Railside for anonymity, has been attacked by some very conservative mathematicians. Their attack is aimed at every progressive approach to teaching and learning mathematics but focused specifically at Jo's studies. They have also attacked her personally quite viciously, and have contravened ethical practices by providing information that can be used to identify the school and the students.
Jo, and through her our research as a community and our desire to improve the teaching and learning of mathematics, needs defending.
Please see her website http://www.stanford.edu/~joboaler/ for full details and register your support on facebook, twitter or other ways you may choose.
Steve Lerman

Professor Stephen Lerman
Department of Education