[Maths-Education] Re: Fwd: The Khan Academy

Christian Bokhove cbokhove at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 13:05:43 GMT 2012

Dear Peter (not sure if this is posted to everyone),

Khan Academy (KA) is often associated with a "pedagogy" denoted as
"Flipping the classroom", which denotes that instruction shifts towards
"outside the classroom" through the use of videos, freeing up time for
useful classroom discussions, making exercises ín the classroom. Personally
I don't see the novelty in that, as many (good) teachers already use many
ways to motivate students. However, at least in de US people seem to take
up the movies especially in a homeschooling setting, so perhaps this
engagement could be seen as a positive thing. It also depends on the math
ed culture in a country.

The movies vary greatly in quality, both mathematically as esthetically.
Khan himself has said that the "ugly" movies often were most succesful.
Recently -also see documentary 60 minutes- there have been some indications
that the movies aren't watched that well. To improve the content KA has
joined up with people like Vi Hart (see
http://vihart.com/blog/announcement-khan-academy/) whom we know of the
great Pi & Shakespeare movie. As mentioned before, Bill Gates, has taken on
Khan as his protege. providing him with ample funds. Because of this
backing I think KA probably will have more of a chance to survive the
hausse in digital mathematics tools.

A second part of the academy is the exercise section. Good learning
analytics, and a great visual map for presenting dependencies and progress
in a curriculum. Still, this is the part I am underwhelmed with. A bit too
"drill and practice" to my taste. Only answers. This interactive part
should, imo., be improved much more.

So, as with many things, a critical view is necessary, but not without
acknowledging the positive things.

Regards,

Christian Bokhove
St. Michael College