[Maths-Education] BSRLM workshop on NC review, 12 March 2011

Jones D.K. D.K.Jones at soton.ac.uk
Thu Mar 10 13:11:15 GMT 2011

Colleagues attending BSRLM on 12 March 2011
http://www.bsrlm.org.uk/nextmeeting.html

A working group session at BSRLM on 12 March 2011 provides the opportunity to discuss the evidence base (covering both primary and secondary) that might inform the construction and content of a revised mathematics National Curriculum for England, given the recently-announced review:
http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/curriculum/nationalcurriculum

A short input will begin the working session; after that, the bulk of the time is open to participants. Everyone is welcome to attend.

If you are planning to attend the working group session, you are invited to let me know, especially if you would like to make a short contribution to the session to stimulate discussion. With this information (which you are invited to send just to me, and not necessarily to the whole list) I will devise a rough structure for the session (which can, of course, be modified depending on what happens as the session develops).

Given the workshop is one of seven parallel sessions, and given it extends across breaks between other sessions, I will try to structure the working session around the session breaks at 11.00 and 11:35. This means that participants can join, or leave, the working group at these times if they are presenting or attending research sessions that take place in parallel to the working group session. Even if you are only able to attend part of the working group session, if you would like to contribute a short input please let me know (including letting me know the timing when you can be in the working group session).

Many thanks in advance

Keith

PS: note that while the session provides the opportunity to discuss possible responses to the "call for evidence"; the session is not about formulating a single response

---------
Keith Jones
Mathematics and Science Education Research Centre
Southampton Education School
University of Southampton
http://www.soton.ac.uk/education/research/centres.page