[Maths-Education] Re: ICT in mathematics

David H Kirshner dkirsh at lsu.edu
Fri Mar 4 16:57:39 GMT 2011

I'm enjoying this thread.

To be fair, Ken Koedinger, lead developer of the software, is a bona
fide cognitive scientist who has published a variety of academic papers
on the cognitive theory involved, in addition to publications on the
effectiveness of the tutor. And even the latter publications have been
in peer review academic journals. Still, it would be interesting to know
if "independent" evaluations of the effectiveness have been undertaken
and published.

There is some software on the market now that seems to be effective in
raising students' test scores in comparison with standard classroom
instruction. For instance, at Northern Arizona University, the college
algebra course is taught through an online facility that

"promote[s] active and collaborative learning, address the diverse range
of student learning styles and permit acceleration. It will use ALEKS, a
comprehensive instructional software and course management system that
individualizes assessment and learning. ALEKS is Web-based, allowing
students to access course materials at anytime from anyplace, and can be
customized to meet student and course needs. As a supplement to ALEKS,
NAU will also use Thinkwell, a video-based mathematics software program
that uses highlighted worked examples and video lectures for students
who learn better in this mode."
(http://www.thencat.org/PCR/R3/NAU/NAU_Abstract.htm)

However, it is clear that the program's effectiveness primarily is
related to its effective provision of practice problems and immediate
feedback. In short, it promotes learning of skills through repetitive
practice in the behaviorist tradition.

I've looked at the Cognitive Tutor, and it's a more complex and
ambitious project. The Tutor functions through a multidimensional model
of expertise that it uses to update a student model, and thereby
determine what kinds of problems and assistance would best benefit the
student. It is not so straightforward an analysis as to whether what is
being promoted is skills through practice (in a sophisticated way), or
something more akin to what we would consider as mathematical concepts.

The Cognitive Tutor is based on the ACT-series of acquisition models
developed by John Anderson and company at Carnegie Melon--in fact, Ken
was a student of his, and is now a frequent collaborator. The ambiguity
of the Tutor in terms of its learning modalities is reflected also in
the status of the ACT theories. Anderson (2005) would be a good source
to begin to answer those questions, and Anderson (2007) includes an
interesting discussion of the general issue of the kind of learning
addressed in the ACT theories.

David Kirshner

Anderson, J. R. (2005). Human symbol manipulation within an integrated
cognitive architecture. Cognitive Science, 29, 313-341. [algebraic
symbol skills]
Anderson, J. R. (2007). How can the human mind occur in the physical
universe?. Oxford University Press.