[Maths-Education] Re: ICT in mathematics

Alan Rogerson alan at rogerson.pol.pl
Fri Mar 4 16:10:11 GMT 2011

Dear Dylan,

What you say below does not in any way alter the fact that what you
actually recommended to Sarah were reports on a webpage produced by a
commercial company. That is the problem. You say something is "one of
the best researched" but we need to know when and by whom? It is not the
quantity of research that counts, rather its quality.

Please note, I am not making any judgement about the actual research
which you call "original" nor did I say that this research is some how
invalidated by being used by a commercial company. Let's say for the
sake of argument, that  all this research could be validated, and also
note that some of the reports on the Carnegie.inc webpage were (as we
know) from Carnegie Mellon University itself, and may have even
pre-dated the formation of Carnegie.inc, I do hope you can see that this
does not change the problem? "Selective quotation" is still a real
hazard, what company after all will quote research critical of its own
products?

We know only too well the much bigger and much more serious debate going
on about so-called academic research being funded, or supported, (or of
course suppressed!) by drug companies. Companies are in business to make
money, so we can hardly use them, or the reports they quote, as
objective exemplars of "research". The contrast is between reports which
clearly have no such bias, and those which are at risk of being biassed.
Surely we cannot say "third party evaluations... would be better",
surely you mean essential? We know from basic statistics that biassed
evidence, when we can  not attach boundaries to the bias, , is, and must
be, useless (not second best). We all know the story of the millions of
telephone calls surveyed  that failed to predict the next President of
the USA....?

Please also note that there is absolutely no bias (or specific
accusations) against Carnegie.inc in particular here, it is a purely
general point that is being made.

The only remaining problem, and somewhat insoluble, is the one Douglas
Butler has just mentioned.

C'est la vie, c'est la ICT.

Best wishes,
Alan