[Maths-Education] Re: Maths-Education Digest, Vol 77, Issue 6

Alan Rogerson alan at rogerson.pol.pl
Fri Mar 4 15:25:23 GMT 2011

Dear Douglas,

This is the perennial problem with all so-called objective research in
mathematics education in as far as it concerns the actual classrooms.
This is why I think more attention is now being given to
participant-observer (as it is called in sociiology) styles of
"research" where the researcher immediately assumes their presence
changes the very situation they are looking at and hence tries to take
this into account - a truism in sociology obviously (can we honestly
imagine that real teachers and students will remain undisturbed when a
"researcher" comes to visit them!?). You cannot step into the same
classroom twice as it were!

When we worked for some 8 years on the highly innovative SMP7-13
Individualised course in the 1970s (yes, indeed when dinosaurs roamed
the earth) we did our best to "test" the new materials by having some
10,000 children (I think, of that order of magnitude anyway) in many
testing schools, half the classes doing the new materials and half not.
But as you say below, we knew immediately that this was not enough for
any valid objective comparison, and never would be. Different teachers,
different children, the Hawthorn effect, and its vice versa version
presumably, and a host of other societal factors guaranteed that our
results were only suggestive at best.

It is surely our belief systems that drive us to produce creative and
innovative programs, such as your Autograph, and these same belief
systems support us in our needing no convincing that these new things DO
work. But in addition we should be open-minded to experience and
especially to constructive criticism.  If this clearly shows there is a
problem then the solution is to fix it in the next edition or upgrade
and try it again? We were doing this continually with SMP - as you do
with revisions and upgrades of Autograph. Surely reports of such
educational feedback of this kind would help Sarah to evaluate whether
or not certain things in ICT have worked better or not?
Best wishes,
Alan