[Maths-Education] ICT in mathematics

Maughan, Sarah s.maughan at nfer.ac.uk
Fri Mar 4 11:29:51 GMT 2011

This seemed to bounce back first time so I am trying again.  Apologies if you receive it twice!

Hi
I am trying to find some evidence about whether ICT has a positive impact on attainment in mathematics and wonder if anyone has any good examples?  If you look at syntheses of research they tend to find little or no positive impact, over and above good teaching.  However, I believe there are some examples of where the findings are more positive, usually in terms of a particular kind of ICT in a particular context.  Can anyone let me know which are the key research reports in this area?  I am particularly interested in impact on attainment rather than motivation or engagement (even though ultimately this is likely to improve attainment), so ICT use that directly helps with understanding of particular concepts for example.

Thanks for your help.

Sarah

Sarah Maughan
Director of Research
National Foundation for Educational Research
The Mere, Upton Park, Slough, Berkshire  SL1 2DQ, UK
Reg. No 900899 (England).  Reg Address as above.
Tel +44(0) 1753 574123: direct line +44(0) 1753 637137
Fax +44(0) 1753 671708:
Web http://www.nfer.ac.uk
This e-mail is confidential to the addressee and may contain privileged information. If you are not the addressee you are not permitted to use or copy this e-mail or its attachments nor may you disclose the same to any third party. If this has been sent to you in error please notify us as soon as possible. The NFER reserves the right to intercept and read e-mails sent or received by our employees. If you do not wish for your communications to be subjected to such scrutiny, you should not communicate via this e-mail system. The Foundation endeavours to exclude viruses from our data but it is the obligation of the recipient to check any attachments for viruses. Opinions, conclusions and other information contained in this message that do not relate to the official business of the NFER, or are personal to the individual sender, shall not be understood as endorsed by the Foundation and no liability will be accepted. Any legally binding agreement resulting from its content must be made separately in a printed medium.