[Maths-Education] Very sad news

Alan Rogerson alan at rogerson.pol.pl
Wed Mar 2 13:48:50 GMT 2011

We have just received the news from Italy of the untimely death of
Filippo Spagnolo, of the University of Palermo. He was a dear friend and
colleague going back to our first meeting in 1979, and was the local
organiser of our very successful Project Conference in Sicily in 2002.
Filippo was a wonderful person, open-hearted, generous and full of
energy and humour. He was a tireless worker in mathematics education at
all levels and was especially helpful and encouraging to his many
students at the University of Palermo. All of those who knew him will be
saddened to hear of his death, and he will truly leave an empty place in
our hearts and minds that no one else can fill.
Alan Rogerson