[Maths-Education] concentric and congruent circles

John Bibby johnbibbyjohnbibby at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 12:37:39 GMT 2010

Hugh's comment reminds me that pedagogically it can be useful to give
definitions which invites exploration. Thus I like to define a prime as a
nunmber that has exactly two factors. This invites the exploration for ANY
number - I wonder how many factors it has? And why is this equivalent to the
usual definition - and what is unique about 1?

It also invites progress to the Laplacian (?) formula for the number of
factors for any integer: namely (a+1)*(b+1)*... where the number's prime
decomposition is p1^a * p2^b etc. So (to continue the exploration) if you
look at the squares 1,4,9,16 .... , how many factors does each one have -
and why? - and why are none of them prime?

(Actually I find primes much more interesting than concentric circles - its
a pity that Euclid is remembered as a geometer, not a number theorist.)

JOHN BIBBY

--
Best wishes for 2010

JOHN BIBBY
                    (NB: this is my only current email address now.)