[Maths-Education] review of interactive geometry software

Dave Hewitt d.p.hewitt at bham.ac.uk
Wed Aug 11 18:39:21 BST 2010

Excuse quick response.... I choose Sketchpad originally mainly due to the power of the buttons. The buttons enable me to construct pre-prepared files which are designed to use as a teaching resource, mainly with an interactive whiteboard. I am not sure whether the description I have just written makes it clear enough as to how I tend to use sketchpad as a teacher and so I offer an example attached along with reference to an article which gives a brief indication of how I might use it in a classroom (Hewitt, D. (2007), 'Canonical images', Mathematics Teaching, 205, pp. 6-11.). The fact that you ask the second question you have in your email adds to my sense that few people seem to consider the opportunities sketchpad, in particular, offers as a teaching resource by way of carefully constructed pre-prepared files where the teacher might control what happens with the file initially as part of a whole class interactive engagement with mathematical questions which can lead quite directly towards some desired mathematical content. In the literature I tend to read about students being given a problem/task and using the software as a tool to work on that task. This is, of course, one powerful way of using such software. however, personally I have found it particularly powerful to use sketchpad as a pedagogic tool working with a whole class, and this seems to be rarely discussed in the literature.

Hope this makes some sense!

In haste,

Dave.

Dr Dave Hewitt