[Maths-Education] Brain and learning - sent on behalf of Emily Davidson-Moses

Peter Gates Peter.Gates at nottingham.ac.uk
Sun Jan 18 17:55:46 GMT 2009

	Hello Sir or Madam,

	I am a Learning Coordinator at an independent research-based
learning center in Cincinnati, Ohio in the States.  As a clinic, we have
a lot of success with our students' progress in both reading and
comprehension development using programs that create new neurological
pathways in the brain through focused Socratic-style questioning.

	However, our math program, On Cloud Nine, though successful in
its own right, has hit a ceiling of sorts with specific students when it
comes to fact memorization.  The basic addition and subtraction facts
from 1-10 (7+3, 8-5 etc.) do not get through to these students' long
term memories.  They appear to be stuck with a dependence on counting
either in their heads, or using the dreaded "Touch Math" system.  The
interesting factor is that multiplication facts do seem to trickle
through, albeit slowly, while these basic facts stall.

	Because our work focuses on research-based, process-driven
approaches, I hoped that you might help us to understand which parts of
the brain are activated when processing memorized basic facts.  If we
better understood how a brain that is stable with this arithmetic works,
we can adapt our program to address that area and remediate
deficiencies.

	Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

	Yours,

	Emily Davidson-Moses, M.A.

	Learning Coordinator
	Langsford Learning Acceleration Centers