[Maths-Education] Invitation to contribute to Philosophy of Maths Education Journal on Maths and Art

Alan Rogerson alan at rogerson.pol.pl
Sun Oct 26 07:14:05 GMT 2008

Dear Paul,
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of
in your philosophy....!" Art, as you say,  being one of them. We too are
very enthusiastic about exploring the connections between Art and Maths
and even using Art as a tool to teach maths, as in several of the Maths
in Society booklets, and also in the DQME I and II EU Comenius project
materials for which Margaret and I are Polish partners. We invite
members to email me at alan at rogerson.pol.pl if you would like further
details and references.
But I really wanted to mention that at our Dresden Conference next year
there will be a full exhibition of Art works (by a Swiss artist) on show
for the week organised by our friend and colleague Peter Baptist, this
follows on from his group's successful production and publishing of a
wonderful maths/art calendar this year as part of the Year of Maths in
Germany. Again please email me if you would like further details,
especially of the Second Announcement for our Dresden Conference Sep
11-17, 2009 (there, got the plug in at last!!)
There is also BTW a splendid permanent hands-on Maths Museum - the best
I have ever seen - in Dresden which we visited recently, it is full of
manipulatives, and great fun and challenging too, many of them have an
explicit or implicit connection to Art.
Best wishes and thanks for your initiative with Art and Philosophy, we
look forward to reading that issue,
Alan Rogerson