[Maths-Education] Newsletter on Proof

Alan Rogerson alan at rogerson.pol.pl
Mon Nov 17 15:56:00 GMT 2008

Dear David,
I would like to recommend Wittgenstein and especially "On Certainty"
which I think is one of the deepest and, maybe in some ways, clearest
exposition of the language usage underpinning why we seem to need...
clear and definitive answers....and how language functions or behaves in
trying to meet that need.
The other seminal work of course would be that of Lakatos, where he has
some wonderful and trenchant things to say based on his work in the
history and, we would have to add, the socio-cultural development of
mathematics.: "The value of a logical proof is .... that it suggests
doubts", "I respect conscious guessing because it comes from two of the
best human emotions(? I am quoting from a failing memory, but the sense
is clear I hope)... courage and humility" .
The lessons I have learnt from these two have been of immense practical
assistance in my teaching, over the years, of students from 5 to 55. If
you are really interested in this line of thinking I would be happy to
make other suggestions, especially in the fields of sociology and social
anthropology which also seem to be very useful in "understanding" - ah
there's the  rub - maybe "comprehending", or "apprehending" would be
better, how we function in a social and cultural complex, in which even
language of course is but a small element of communication and hence
of... "meaning"!
Best wishes
Alan