[Maths-Education] Newsletter on Proof

David H Kirshner dkirsh at lsu.edu
Mon Nov 17 14:54:42 GMT 2008

Maria-Alessandra, and others.

I would appreciate your help in finding some sociocultural references to "proof" in the literature.

Under the influence of cognitive interpretations of thinking and learning, attaining competence in proof is frequently portrayed as a cognitive accomplishment--achievement of skills and/or concepts related to proof. Thus practice and individual reflection become the vehicles for promoting competencies in proving.

>From a sociocultural perspective, one might regard proof as a highly refined form of argumentation practiced within the mathematics community. The associated pedagogical strategy would be nurturing of increasingly sophisticated forms of argumentation within the classroom microculture (e.g., argument from authority --> argument based on material implication --> argument based on abstract logical implication).

I know that the sociocultural perspective is reflected in the literature on proof. If anyone can point me to a particularly clear or definitive statement of that position, I'd be most appreciative.

David Kirshner
Louisiana State University