[Maths-Education] Maths-Art Seminars at London Knowledge Lab: Brock Craft, 'Computer generated art using context-free grammars', 9 October

Sue Pope sapope at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 2 16:07:55 BST 2007

Dear Philip
  I can't make the 9th but I hope to attend the other events
  Best wishes
  Sue

Phillip Kent <phillip.kent at gmail.com> wrote:
This message has been generated through the Mathematics Education email discussion list.
Hitting the REPLY key sends a message to all list members.
*** PLEASE CIRCULATE ** ALL WELCOME **

COMPUTER GENERATED ART USING CONTEXT-FREE GRAMMARS
*
*An LKL Maths-Art seminar by
Brock Craft (London Knowledge Lab)
Tuesday 9 October, 6.00 - **7.30pm

*Using software that applies "context-free grammars" it is possible to
produce images containing many millions of distinct shapes with just a
handful of instructions. Context-free grammars are logical constructs that
can be used to formally describe programming languages and other complex
entities. They are useful because they can very economically describe highly
complex processes and structures. The rules of the grammar describe how to
build the structure rather than describing the location and characteristics
of its individual parts. Besides generating elegant images, research in
complex grammars can lead to more efficient and powerful techniques for
computation. In this seminar, I will discuss the application of context-free
grammars to computer-based art and show some of my work which uses software
employing this technique.

TIME: 6.00 - 7.30pm, Tuesday 9 October 2007
PLACE: London Knowledge Lab, 23-29 Emerald St, London, WC1N 3QS
[Travel information / Maps at:
http://www.lkl.ac.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=32]

All welcome. No reservation required, but an email to
lkl.maths.art at gmail.com would be appreciated for planning purposes

*NEXT SEMINARS: 13 November - Susan Tebby, 11 December - Meurig Beynon

Visit the website and seminar archive: http://www.lkl.ac.uk/maths-art
Join the email list for future seminar announcements:

++++++++
Dr Phillip Kent
London Knowledge Lab - Institute of Education
23 - 29 Emerald St
London WC1N 3QS
p.kent at ioe.ac.uk
tel 020 7763 2156 mobile 07950 952034