[Maths-Education] use of counterexamples in primary classrooms

tr202 at cam.ac.uk tr202 at cam.ac.uk
Thu May 17 17:19:45 BST 2007

I'm interested in the use of examples in mathematics teaching, and have a
collection of examples of such uses, especially in the teaching of concepts
and procedures.

What I don't have is much in the way of 'real' examples of the use of
counterexamples in primary (say, grades K to 6) mathematics teaching. I'm
looking for situation where someone makes a claim, or a conjecture, and a
counterexample is offered (by the teacher, or by a student) intended to
refute the claim. A case in point would be Chapter 4 of Liping Ma's
'Knowing and teaching elementary mathematics', where teachers offer
counterexamples to refute a claim about a connection between perimeter and
area. But that was an interview situation, whereas I'm looking for examples
from 'live' classrooms.

I'd be grateful if anyone would share an anecdote or recollection of such
an example, with me or the list.

Many thanks,
Tim

Dr Tim Rowland