[Maths-Education] FW: 2nd Socio-Cultural Theory in Educational Research & Practice Conference

Gates Peter Peter.Gates at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Mar 23 16:22:50 GMT 2007

Dear colleague,

We are emailing to invite you to participate in the 2nd Socio-Cultural
Theory in Educational Research & Practice: Theory, Identity and
Learning. The conference aims to stimulate debate and to inform
understanding of new ways of theorizing the active subject within
socio-cultural theory within the context of empirical studies of
learning in school and other learning contexts. Apart from the keynote
addresses, we do not intend that participants' papers will be presented
orally; however, participation in academic debate is very much the ethos
of the conference. We see the purpose of the abstracts/papers as being
to fuel the discussion, and also to give participants the opportunity to
share their ideas with others in a spirit of collegiate collaboration.

The deadline for abstract submission is 15 May and notifications will be
sent by 1 June. Early registration fees due before 1 June and a limited
number of student bursaries are available.

Scheduled keynote speakers with expertise in sociocultural theory,
mathematics education, and science education include:

Landsdowne Professor Wolff-Michael Roth, Applied Cognitive Science,
University of Victoria, British Columbia

Professor Anna Sfard, Department of Education, University of Haifa,
Israel; Institute of Education, University of London; Division of
Science and Mathematics Education, Michigan State University, US

Dr Etienne Wenger, Independent Researcher and Consultant on Communities
of Practice

Professor Julian Williams, Learning, Teaching and Assessment, University
of Manchester

Venue:            University of Manchester

Date:               10-11 September 2007

(starting 10.30am 10th Sept., ending 4:30pm 11th Sept.)

The conference is organised by the Socio-cultural Theory Interest Group
(ScTIG), School of Education with support from the British Academy in
the form of a British Conference Grant.

Further information on the call for abstracts and booking form are
attached. You can find out more about us and the conference via our
website www.lta.education.manchester.ac.uk/ScTIG/index.htm

If you experience any problems accessing the website, or have any
queries, please email valerie.farnsworth at manchester.ac.uk.

In addition, in case you think this conference might be of interest to
others in your institution, we have attached a poster about the
conference. We would be grateful if you would display this prominently
somewhere at your institution or forward this email along to others.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Dr Valerie Farnsworth, Dr  Pauline Davis,

and the Sociocultural Theory Interest Group Conference Committee