[Maths-Education] Video Project: 3rd Attempt

Johnston-Wilder, Peter P.J.Johnston-Wilder at warwick.ac.uk
Wed Dec 19 17:32:57 GMT 2007

Apologies to colleagues for the loss of the attachment to my earlier messages.
Below is the text of the attachment.  I hope this is now readable.

Please can you forward this to secondary maths teachers, maths education teachers and secondary maths PGCE students.  We hope to collect a wide variety of responses can later be used in the production of a DVD for use in ITT and CPD for maths teachers.

Peter Johnston-Wilder,
Institute of Education
University of Warwick
Coventry CV4 7AL
________________________________

We are producing a DVD of common classroom scenarios which can often be challenging for new teachers to respond to.  The aim is to gather a variety of different ways of responding to such situations.  We intend to use these different ways of responding in a DVD to help both maths teachers and trainee teachers to explore the pros and cons of different responses and then consider how they may respond to a wider range of issues in the future.

Please will you take the time to look through the 11 scenarios shown below, and pick 2 or 3 (or more) to respond to.  Describe how you would respond.  Alternatively, you might choose to describe responses you have seen in classrooms but would not necessarily use yourself.

Please indicate whether you are a maths teacher in school, a maths education teacher or a PGCE student.

Please return to:

Jenni Ingram

Institute of Education

University of Warwick

Coventry

CV4 7AL

Or email to:

Jenni.Ingram at warwick.ac.uk

How would you respond to these questions / scenarios?

1)      When am I ever going to use simultaneous linear equations?

2)      Multiplying makes things bigger

3)      You hardly ever get a six!

4)      Why does a minus times a minus make a plus?

5)      4.32 is bigger than 4.5.

6)      maths is boring...

7)      Why is 100=1?

8)      (x + y)2 = x2 + y2