[Maths-Education] Seminar on 22 March in Manchester

Anne Haworth achaworth at djandac.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 19 11:04:35 GMT 2006

Colleagues are welcome to attend the following seminar to be given by
Zsolt Lavicza (University of Cambridge) on Wednesday 22 March.

  It will be held at 1630 in the Humanities Devas Street building of the
University of Manchester (building 77 on campus map on
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/visitors/travel/maps/)

  "The investigation of the integration of Computer Algebra Systems into
university-level mathematics teaching

  Computer Algebra Systems (CAS) are increasingly becoming components of
university-level mathematics teaching. However, little is known about
the extent of CAS use and the factors that influence its integration
into the undergraduate mathematics curriculum. In my talk, I shall
share my findings on the CAS-related beliefs and teaching strategies of
22 mathematicians in three countries, Hungary, UK, and US. In addition,
I shall discuss the design and development of a large-scale,
international, web-based survey study, which will further investigate
university mathematics lecturers? conceptions of CAS-assisted teaching
and the current use of CAS in tertiary mathematics."

  Anne Haworth
  PGCE Mathematics and Fast Track
  School of Education
  University of Manchester