[Maths-Education] 0.01 of a national curriculum level in mathematics?

Tamara Bibby T.Bibby at ioe.ac.uk
Thu Jul 6 12:45:50 BST 2006

Hi Mark
The situation you describe is distressingly familiar. I can't comment on
secondary school practices but the primary school I'm working in is also
full of fractional levels. The Y5 class I am in has just done its optional
(?!) SATs and the children now know who is a 4a, who is a 3b and so on. I
enclose a part of a conversation I had with two boys (U & S) where they are
discussing what these labels mean to them - this is part of a longer
conversation about what it is like to be in maths lessons and what it was
like doing the tests they've just finished, life, the universe and
everything (always hard to know where to crop things like this).

Reading the (whole) interview again I am really struck by how hard it must
be to maintain a coherent, positive story about oneself as a learner in this
kind of environment. It is also striking how they work to make their friends
'okay' with labels they aren't sure about. Such a lot of energy is expended
on creating these tales or myths about the meaning of the numbers and the
other labels they have had appended. I wonder why Y5 children are worrying
they aren't working at NC level 5? What happened to L4? Why is their talk so
saturated with these numbers? And what happened to planned opportunities for
creativity (art, music, drama...)?

On the other lables - I had a comment from another child in the same class
that he couldn't sit still to listen for long because he is a kinaesthetic
learner! I actually quite liked the way he was subverting the title - it
gave him permission to indulge his high energy and low boredom threashold
and, for a while at least, the teacher had no way of coming back at him! She
doesn't seem to use those words nearly as much as she did before
Christmas...

Best wishes
tamara