[Maths-Education] Maths Ed Seminars at King's 31 January & 7 March

Jeremy Hodgen jeremy.hodgen at kcl.ac.uk
Tue Jan 24 21:12:22 GMT 2006

The Mathematics Education Research Group at King's College London
runs a twice-termly seminar series. The next two seminars in this
year's series will be:

King’s College London
Department of Education and Professional Studies
Mathematics Education Seminar Series 2005/6

Emotion and Mathematics Professional Development in a low socio-
economic area in New Zealand

Dr Hannah Bartholomew
University of Auckland

Tuesday 31st January 2006
5.30 - 7.00 pm

In this talk I will discuss a professional development project with
which I have been involved in the  South Auckland area in New
Zealand. The project, working with senior mathematics teachers in 8
high schools, has been going for 4 years, and over the last two years
we have been funded by a Ministry of Education grant which stipulated
that the teachers involved should be co-researchers. I will therefore
reflect on this aspect of the project, and in particular, I shall
draw on interviews conducted at the end of the project in order to
explore some of the emotional issues surrounding teachers' involvement.

and

Equivalence of fractions: why it is important and when it is easy

Professor Terezinha Nunes
Department of Educational Studies
University of Oxford

Tuesday 7th March 2006
5.30 - 7.00 pm

Rational numbers pose problems for learners that differ radically
from those in the domain of whole numbers. One of them is
equivalence. Two sets with the same number label are equivalent;
those with different number labels are not. Neither of these
statements is necessarily true of rational numbers. This talk will
discuss the different situations in which fractions are used and will
show how their differences relate to children's understanding of the
equivalence of fractions.

Venue for both events:
Room 1/16
Franklin Wilkins Building Annex, Waterloo Road.
The entrance to the School of Education is on Waterloo Road, just off
Waterloo Bridge.
A map of the locality is available at:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/about/maa/sc.html

You are invited to stay for drinks at 7.00.

All are welcome. RSVP

Jeremy

Dr Jeremy Hodgen
Lecturer in Mathematics Education
King's College, London
Department of Education and Professional Studies
Franklin-Wilkins Building
Waterloo Bridge Wing
150 Stamford Street
London SE1 9NH