[Maths-Education] 13th International Conference on Teaching Modeling & Applications (ICTMA)

Gates Peter Peter.Gates at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Dec 28 07:43:09 GMT 2006

This  announcement concerns the 13th International Conference on
Teaching Modeling & Applications (ICTMA) and more information can be
found at http://www.ictma13.org/

Theme:   Modeling Students' Modeling Abilities - Focusing on Foundations
for the Future in Design Sciences such as Engineering, Architecture, or
many Environmental Sciences
Who:     K-16 Mathematics Educators, Science Educators, Engineering
Educators, Learning Scientists, Cognitive Scientists, Designers of
Materials for Instruction or Assessment
Where:   Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
When:   July 22-26, 2007
How:   For information about when and how to submit, go to
http://www.ictma13.org/
Co-hosts:   Indiana University (IU), Purdue University (PU),  and the
United States Air Force Academy (AFA)
Sponsors:   USA National Science Foundation, Texas Instruments

 From

Richard Lesh, Ph.D.
Rudy Distinguished Professor of Learning Sciences
Chair, Learning Sciences Program
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN  47404
(o) 812-856-8335
(h) 812-355-1365
(m) 812-679-9682
ralesh at indiana.edu

Presentations and Working Groups will be Encouraged to Consider the

Following Questions:

> What is the nature of typical problem-solving situations where
elementarybut-

powerful mathematical constructs and conceptual systems are needed

for success in a technology-based age of information?

> What kind of "mathematical thinking" is emphasized in these
situations?

> What does it mean to "understand" the most important of these ideas

and abilities? How do these competencies develop?

> What can be done to facilitate development?

> How can we document and assess the most important (deeper,
higherorder,

more powerful) achievements that are needed: (i) for informed

citizenship, or (ii) for successful participation in the increasingly
wide

range of professions that are becoming heavy users of mathematics,

science, and technology?

> How can we identify students who have exceptional potential which

are not measured on standardized tests.

For information about how

to submit go to:

www.ICTMA13.org