[Maths-Education] ATM all attainment teaching and learning group

Corinne Angier cangier at chaucer.sheffield.sch.uk
Fri Apr 28 20:22:24 BST 2006

The Association of Teachers of Mathematics
All-attainment learning and teaching group

Saturday May 13th
09.30 until 15.00

All teachers, whatever the structures adopted by their
mathematics department, work with students with very diverse
learning needs.  This group is interested in the kinds of
mathematical tasks which are accessible, open and rich enough
to meet the needs of learners across the attainment
spectrum.
We work on mathematics together and discuss the opportunities
and tensions that exist in school classrooms.  The workshops
focus on sharing practice.  Some of us bring stories from the
classroom of using the activities that we have previously
explored together.  We all aim to bring with us a
mathematical
task which we have used with a range of learners.  We
consider
how to work with a mathematical task in the classroom, how to
develop it and the sort of questions we need to ask to extend
students’ mathematical thinking.

This workshop is free and lunch will be provided.  The next
meeting is at the Mathematics Education Centre, Sheffield
Hallam University, Collegiate Crescent Campus, 25 Broomgrove
Road, Sheffield, S10 5BW.  Travel details can be found in the
Visitors' Guide at http://www.shu.ac.uk.

If you are interested in attending this workshop please
contact Corinne Angier (cangier at chaucer.sheffield.sch.uk) or
Hilary Povey (0114 225 2338; h.povey at shu.ac.uk).
Corinne Angier
Curriculum leader for mathematics
Chaucer school
Wordsworth Avenue
Sheffield S5 8NH
Tel: 0114 2322338
Fax: 0114 2321426
cangier at chaucer.sheffield.sch.uk

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard