[Maths-Education] Seminars 20th & 27th June

Jeremy Hodgen jeremy.hodgen at kcl.ac.uk
Sun Jun 12 21:49:48 BST 2005

You are all cordially invited two maths ed seminars at King's:

Monday 20th June 4.30 - 6.30 Malcolm Swan: Learning mathematics through
discussion: Changing practices and beliefs.

Monday 27th June 5.30 - 7.30 Michael Shayer & Mundher Adhami:
'Cognitive Acceleration'? or 'Steps on the road to making the
experience of maths better for Primary children'? :  the RCPCM Project.

All welcome. Please note the different times. Abstracts and directions
below.

Jeremy

Learning mathematics through discussion:
Changing practices and beliefs.
Malcolm Swan
Monday 20th June 4.30 - 6.30

Teaching GCSE mathematics in Further Education is predominantly
teacher-centred and transmission-oriented. It is also ineffective.
In this seminar I describe a design-research programme in which I have
worked with teachers from over 40 colleges of FE to challenge this
situation. This has involved the design of teaching activities in which
discussion and reflection play a central role, and a four day
professional
development programme.

In the seminar I shall present illustrations of the resources, and
describe
the results of the design research with regard to both learning
outcomes and
to the evolution of teachers' practices and beliefs.

The results of this research are currently having impact through the
DfES
'Success for All' programme, to be launched this summer.

'Cognitive Acceleration'? or 'Steps on the road to making the
experience of maths better for Primary children'? :  the RCPCM Project.
Michael Shayer & Mundher Adhami
Monday 27th June 5.30 - 7.30

	We ran a research project with the idea of increasing the cognitive
development of 5 to 7 year-olds focused on their maths. It had good
effects, which will be briefly shown. But the way we found we had to
work with teachers, and the way in which we found ourselves providing
their PD, led to the following conclusion to one of our published
articles*:
	'Looking ahead, one can imagine, in the spectrum of primary teacher's
skills, a seamless integration of instructional teaching-aimed at
increasing children's competence in what they already understand-and
interventionist teaching, aimed at enhancing children's cognitive
development.'
	Michael Shayer and Mundher Adhami will try to use the specifics of
some of our Y1 and Y2 maths lessons to show what they believe to be
seeds of further development of the art.
Shayer&Adhami (2003). Realising the Cognitive Potential of Children 5-7
with a Mathematics focus. International Journal of Educational Research
39, 743-775.

The Department for Education and Professional Studies is in the
Waterloo Bridge Wing of the Franklin-Wilkins Building in KCL's Waterloo
Campus on the south bank of the River Thames. Come to the entrance at
the end of Waterloo Bridge (not the main entrance to the
Franklin-Wilkins Building on Stamford Street.)

You can find a map here:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/maps/waterloo.html

Dr Jeremy Hodgen
Lecturer in Mathematics Education
King's College, London
Department of Education and Professional Studies
Franklin-Wilkins Building
Waterloo Bridge Wing
150 Stamford Street
London SE1 9NH