[Maths-Education] TIMSS primary 2003 scores

Sayers Judy Judy.Sayers at northampton.Ac.Uk
Tue Jan 11 12:05:01 GMT 2005

Dear all

Is there something I should know?  I have just looked at the TIMSS 2003
scores for year 5.

In 1995 mean score: 484
In 2003 mean score: 531

This is a tremendous jump of 47 points.  Why have the Government not been
jumping up and down about the impact of the NNS on primary children?

This particular cohort would have been in year 1 when the strategy was
introduced, they have experienced 5yrs of the strategy approach to the
teaching of mathematics.  This is an impressive leap, especially when you
see our yr 9 mean score not changing from 498 in 1995 and 2003.

Incidentally the yr 5 Scottish results showed no effective change (went down
by 3 points):

1995 mean score 493
2003 mean score 490

Have I missed something here?