[Maths-Education] Has the National Strategy for KS 3 changed teaching?

Dave Wilson maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 09:45:46 +0100

Dave Wilson wrote:

>What research has been done into changes in classroom practices with
>the introduction of the NS at KS3?
>
>Can anyone point me at any references?

I received several useful replies, many thanks. As some may not have
reached the list I'll summarise the references, in part because I
also had emails asking for any refs I got and to say thanks:

Paul Ernest tells us that
At 21:11 +0000 26/3/04, PErnest wrote:
>Paul Wilson <mail@wilson1123.freeserve.co.uk> did his doctoral thesis on this
>topic. His thesis will appear in the next issue of POMEJ on my web page but
>contact him directly if you can't wait!

Hamsa Venkat says:

At 10:13 +0000 27/3/04, Hamsa Venkat wrote:
>Ofsted have carried out annual evaluations of the KS3 Strategy including a
>focus on maths and English. The link for the latest press release and
>evaluation is below:
>
>  http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=news.details&id=1538
>
>Stoll, Stobart et al did the official evaluation of the pilots of the KS3
>Strategy:
>Preparing for Change: Evaluation of the Implementation of the Key Stage 3
>Strategy Pilot
>Dfes, Feb 2003
>
>The ATL commissioned a study of the maths and English pilots of the KS3
>Strategy. The refs are below:
>
>Furlong,T., Venkatakrishnan,H. & Brown.M Key Stage 3 National Strategy: An
>evaluation of the strategies for literacy and mathematics - An interim
>report, ATL, 2001
>and:
>Barnes,A., Venkatakrishnan,H. & Brown.M Strategy or Straitjacket? Teachers'
>views on the English and mathematics strands of the Key Stage 3 National
>Strategy: Final Report, ATL, 2003

Howard Tanner write:
At 14:15 +0000 26/3/04, Tanner H.F. wrote:
>The official evaluation of the strategy was done by Earl, Fullan et al.
>
>They are based in Canada, Montreal I think, but I don't have the full
>reference.

Margaret Brown offered me:
At 15:50 +0000 26/3/04, Margaret L Brown wrote:
>There's the recent Ofsted report downloadable from www.ofsted.gov.uk,
>and a report we did for ATL available from them <info@atl.org.uk>:
>Barnes, A, Venkatakrishnan, H & Brown, M (2002) Strategy or
>Straitjacket? Teachers' views on the English and mathematics starnds
>of the Key Stage 3 National Strategy. London: ATL.
>There's also the DfES evaluation of the pilot but not much in that's
>specific to maths:
>Stoll, L et al. (2003) Preparing for Change: Evaluation of the
>Implementation of the Key Stage 3 Strategy Pilot. London: DfES
>I expect there are some articles too.

thanks to everybody

--
Dave