[Maths-Education] 4th Annual Institute of Mathematics Pedagogy

Anne Watson maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:41:53 +0000

--=====================_30625547==_.ALT

4th ANNUAL INSTITUTE
OF
MATHEMATICS PEDAGOGY

The 4th Annual Institute of Mathematics Pedagogy will take place at the

Department of Educational Studies, University of Oxford,
from
Thursday July 22nd
Sunday July 25th
2004

The Institute will be led by John Mason and Anne Watson and will consist of=
=20
workshops, seminars, readings, reflections and discussions about teaching=20
and learning mathematics.   There will be a full programme from lunchtime=20
on the 22nd until lunchtime on the 25th including evening activities.

There will be no papers or formal presentations; the group will work=20
intensively and creatively with issues and ideas to develop thinking and=20
practice.  New participants are very welcome.

This year=92s theme will be:

Freedom and Constraint
We see these as coexisting characteristics of mathematical concepts. How do=
=20
they interplay to enable us to learn mathematics? How can tasks and=20
exercises be constructed to make the most of these interactions?

We shall try to keep the price to =A3250 and this includes accommodation at=
=20
Wadham College, all meals and other refreshments, materials and so=20
on.  Places are strictly limited in order to allow full participation for=20
all.  In your application, please say something about yourself and your=20
reasons for wanting to come.  We shall need a =A350 deposit and Cheques=20
should be made out to: Institute of Maths Pedagogy and sent to: Tracy=20
Johns, Centre for Mathematics Education, Open University, Walton Hall,=20
Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA. <t.a.johns@open.ac.uk>

Apply now!! Places are limited.

Dr Anne Watson
(Fellow and Tutor for Admissions at Linacre College)
Lecturer in Mathematics Education,
Department of Educational Studies,
University of Oxford
15 Norham Gardens
Oxford OX2 6PY

phone:  44-(0)1865-274052
fax:            44-(0)1865-274027=20
--=====================_30625547==_.ALT

"><b>4th
ANNUAL INSTITUTE<br>
OF<br>
MATHEMATICS PEDAGOGY<br><br>
at the<br><br>
Department of Educational Studies, University of Oxford, <br>
from <br>
Thursday July 22nd <br>
to <br>
</b></div>
The Institute will be led by John Mason and Anne Watson and will consist
of workshops, seminars, readings, reflections and discussions about
teaching and learning mathematics.&nbsp;&nbsp; There will be a full
programme from lunchtime on the 22nd until lunchtime on the 25th
including evening activities.<br><br>
There will be no papers or formal presentations; the group will work
intensively and creatively with issues and ideas to develop thinking and
practice.&nbsp; New participants are very welcome.<br><br>
This year=92s theme will be:<br><br>
Constraint<br>
coexisting characteristics of mathematical concepts. How do they
interplay to enable us to learn mathematics? How can tasks and exercises
be constructed to make the most of these interactions?<br><br>
this includes accommodation at Wadham College, all meals and other
refreshments, materials and so on.&nbsp; Places are strictly limited in
order to allow full participation for all.&nbsp; In your application,
please say something about yourself and your reasons for wanting to
come.&nbsp; We shall need a =A350 deposit and Cheques should be made out
Centre for Mathematics Education, Open University, Walton Hall, Milton
Keynes, MK7 6AA. &lt;t.a.johns@open.ac.uk&gt;<br><br>
Apply now!! Places are limited.<br><br>
fax:<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>44-(0)1865-274027