[Maths-Education] Invitation to a seminar

Angier, Corinne F maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 08:24:56 -0000

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3DFF8.0D9BB55E

=20
=20
Mathematics Education Research Group

School of Education

Sheffield Hallam University

Wednesday 11 February 2004

4.30-6.00pm

Affordances and Constraints of using ICT to teach, learn, and do
mathematics

Professor John Mason, Open University

With smartboards creeping into many schools and many classrooms, it
seems that mathematics can now be presented as a way of making sense of
certain kinds of phenomena. Many topics can be introduced through
dynamic and interactive images, and many lessons can be conducted using
tasks presented on electronic screens.

Following the Gibson-Greeno notion of affordances, constraints, and
attunements, what does this mean for conducting such lessons? What
particular opportunities are afforded by ICT resources, what constraints
do they impose, and what attunements are required of students?

I will suggest some tasks, and through working on these, we may be able
to address some of these questions.

Seminars are held at

the Centre for Mathematics Education

25 Broomgrove Road, Sheffield S10 2NA

There is no charge for this activity but please let us know if you
intend to be there. I will send you acopy of some reading John has sent
if you let me know you are coming. Tea and coffee from 4.00pm.=20

Dr Hilary Povey

Reader, School of Education, Sheffield Hallam University

Collegiate Crescent Campus, Sheffield S10 2BP

tel +44 114 225 2338, fax +44 114 225 2339, h.povey@shu.ac.uk

=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3DFF8.0D9BB55E

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Message</TITLE>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2722.900" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><!-- Converted from text/rtf format --><B><FONT =
size=3D2>
<P>Mathematics Education Research Group</P>
<P>School of Education</P>
<P>Sheffield Hallam University</P></B>
<P>Wednesday 11 February 2004</P>
<P>4.30-6.00pm</P><B>
<P>Affordances and Constraints of using ICT to teach, learn, and do=20
mathematics</P></B>
<P>Professor John Mason, Open University</P>
<P>With smartboards creeping into many schools and many classrooms, it =
seems=20
that mathematics can now be presented as a way of making sense of =
certain kinds=20
of phenomena. Many topics can be introduced through dynamic and =
interactive=20
images, and many lessons can be conducted using tasks presented on =
electronic=20
screens.</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>Following the Gibson-Greeno notion of affordances, =
constraints,=20
and attunements, what does this mean for conducting such lessons? What=20
particular opportunities are afforded by ICT resources, what constraints =
do they=20
impose, and what attunements are required of students?</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P>I will suggest some tasks, and through working on these, we may be =
able to=20
address some of these questions.</P>
<P>Seminars are held at</P>
<P>the Centre for Mathematics Education</P>
<P>25 Broomgrove Road, Sheffield S10 2NA</P>
<P>There is no charge for this activity but please let us know if you =
intend to=20
be there. I will send you acopy of some reading John has sent if you let =
me know=20
you are coming. Tea and coffee from 4.00pm. </P></FONT><FONT =
face=3DVerdana=20
size=3D2>
<P>Dr Hilary Povey</P>
<P>Reader, School of Education, Sheffield Hallam University</P>
<P>Collegiate Crescent Campus, Sheffield S10 2BP</P>
<P>tel +44 114 225 2338, fax +44 114 225 2339, =
h.povey@shu.ac.uk</P></FONT><BR>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>