[Maths-Education] Top 3 titles in Maths Ed?

Paola Valero maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 19:12:56 +0100

If "top 3" means books that have been broadly cited in both English and non
English speaking research, and therefore have influenced research done in
the field I would say:

Grouws, D. A. Ed. (1992) Handbook of Research on Mathematics Teaching and
Learning, New York: Macmillan.

(Agree with Paul)

Ernest, P. (1991). The philosophy of mathematics education. London: Falmer.

This book opened for discussions about the connection between the philosoph=
of maths and maths education, and supported many of the social
constructivist reform trends in many countries.

Skovsmose, O. (1994). Towards a philosophy of critical mathematics
education. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Kluwer.

Paul doubts... Well, I would say that this book is one of the most well
written books in the field. It not only presents a solid theoretical
investigation on the role of mathematics in current technological societies=
,
but also explores the implications of such a role in education. The book
opens a theoretical landscape that has attracted the attention of a broad
number of researchers in many countries. The book has alsoo been translated
into Spanish:

Skovsmose, O. (2000). Hacia una filosof=EDa de la educaci=F3n matem=E1tica
cr=EDtica. Bogota, Colombia: una empresa docente.

Paola

Paul Ernest

Paola Valero=20
Department of Education and Learning