[Maths-Education] Being outdated

Judy Mousley maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Thu, 1 May 2003 15:11:36 +1000

>  The alternative is that we are all victims of fashion -
>something which no-one has ever accused me of!
>
>Dave

Of course we are all victims of fashion. Which of us has not used
Foucault without seeking the original idea in Derrida or elsewhere?
We are bound by our own or historicity -- both re. time and place.

Coincidentally, I received a few minutes ago an joke-style email
entitled "Things I Hate". The list included:
"When something is 'new and improved', which is it? If it's new, then
there has never been anything before it. If it's an improvement, then
there must have been something before it. For me, 2000+ on a
publication means neither "new" nor "improved".

Judy